Monday, December 17, 2007
ONE BIG SHIP
USS REAGAN PASSING THE ARIZONA MEMORIAL, BEAUTIFUL!
Seeing it next to the Arizona Memorial really puts its size into perspective....
IT IS ENORMOUS
THE USS RONALD REAGAN CVN 76
When the Bridge pipes "Man the Rail" there is a lot of rail to man on this beauty, shoulder to shoulder, around 4.5 acres. Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.
Top speed exceeds 30 knots, powered by two nuclear
reactors that can operate for more than 20 years without refueling
1. Expected to operate in the fleet for about 50 years
2. Carries over 80 combat aircraft
3. Three arresting cables can stop a 28-ton aircraft going 150 miles per hour in about 400 feet
Towers 20 stories above the waterline
1. 1092 feet long; about as long as the Stratosphere Tower is tall
2. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres
3. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds
4. 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons
5. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet
Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel
1. Carries enough food and supplies to operate for 90 days
2. 18,150 meals served daily
3. Distillation plants make 400,000 gallons of fresh water from sea water daily,
enough for 2000 homes
4. Nearly 30,000 light fixtures and 1,325 miles of cable and wiring, 1,400 telephones
5. 14,000 pillowcases and 28,000 sheets
This magnificent ship allows the U.S. Navy to project airpower to almost anyplace on
Earth. There are those who do not feel that for the U.S. to have such a capability is a
good thing. Unfortunately some people with that attitude live in the United States...