Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Top 10 Poisonous Plants - that might be in your yard!

Narcissus is about the least toxic of the top 10

These cheerful yellow and white harbingers of spring,
aka daffodils and jonquils, are actually mildly toxic if
the bulbs are eaten in large quantities (Narcissus
pseudonarcissus is shown). Some people confuse
them for onions. Daffodil bulb diners tend to experience
nausea, vomiting, cramps and diarrhea. A doctor might
recommend intravenous hydration and/or drugs to stave
off nausea and vomiting if symptoms are severe or the
patient is a child.

Rhododendron is a lot more scary!

Rhododendrons and azalea bushes (a variety of rhododendron),
with their bell-shaped flowers, look great in the yard come
springtime, but the leaves are toxic and so is honey made from
the flower nectar. Eating either from these evergreen shrubs
makes your mouth burn, and then you'll probably experienced
increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea and a tingling sensation
in the skin. Headaches, weak muscles and dim vision could follow.
Your heart rate could slow down or beat strangely, and you might
even drop into a coma and undergo fatal convulsions. Before that,
doctors will try to replace your fluids and help you breath more
easily and administer drugs to bring back your normal heart rhythm.

(Editorial note: There are several plants on this list that I didn't
know were toxic, and I've been around a long time, for safety
please check the rest of the article...)

To learn more click here

No comments: